Wednesday, August 27, 2014

From Nickel to Oil Rubbed Bronze

A few years ago, my husband and I updated our downstairs bathroom. It had the classic 80's laminated vanity and a toilet and sink in a color called raspberry purée (I kid you not). I wish I had a picture to show you, but this was way before my blogging days, the color would have amazed you. I heard they discontinued it, I wonder why? Heh Heh. Since we only needed to update the toilet and vanity, we did this project ourselves. OMG what a difference it made!

We picked out a new faucet, changed the paint color of the walls and I made a decorative ladder.... See the tutorial here. Since then I have been updating the decor bit by bit.

When we updated the vanity faucet we went from nickel hardware to oil rubbed bronze hardware. The last piece to make the change was the toilet paper holder. It was nickel, but I loved the style. I hunted around but could not find a similar one in oil rubbed bronze. Then strolling through Home Depot (becoming my second home) I checked out the spray paint section, figuring maybe I could paint the toilet paper holder. I came upon Rust-oleum. They have this Metallic line of spray paint, a paint and primer all-in-one. So the oil rubbed bronze was coming home with me. 

First you need to finely sand the surface, then wash in soapy water and let dry. 

I fasted it to a piece of cardboard to make it easy to paint. 

After apply 2 light coats, it looked fantastic. I let it dry for 24 hours and then fastened it back to the wall. I love it, the paint covered great and it was so easy.

 Yeah! Our bathroom finally looks completed!

No comments:

Post a Comment