Wednesday, November 19, 2014

a Visit to the Elephant's Trunk Country Flea Market


A few weeks ago the Hubby and I went to the Elephant's Trunk Country Flea Market. I have heard great things about this flea market and this was the first time we had a chance to visit. As we passed through the gates my heart starting to sing. Oh my word, what a flea market, so many vendors, so much to see at first it was a little overwhelming.


Let's start with a little history. The Elephant's Trunk Country Flea Market began in 1976. The first markets found aisles named after New York City streets or alley-ways. The market was held on Sundays, and in 1976, the presence of fifteen vendors was a "big" day! Now up to 400 vendors can be found on any given Sunday. 

The Hubby and I decided to start at the back and work our way to the entrance. There was so much to see, such a wide variety of items. We wander up and down a few rows before our tummies told us it was time for some breakfast. There were about 6 different food trucks. One made mini donuts... Oh the smell, it was so tantalizing. We got egg sandwiches and of course a bag of mini donuts. 


My first score of the day was a wooden sign that said "outhouse". I just fell in love with it and it was a steal at $10.00. It now hangs on the door to my downstairs bathroom. Cute...

So, I have been on the hunt for an old milk can, I have found some at other flea/antique markets but they were either too expensive or rusted out. Well as luck would have it I spotted one with a vendor that sold dog treats (of all places). It was painted red, it was chippy, and absolutely perfect. I thought to myself this must cost a pretty penny. Before I had a chance to ask the vendor the cost he said, "you like the milk can, $15.00 and its yours". I could not get the words "I'll take it" out of my mouth fast enough. This is displayed on my front yard with my fall display. What a score!

Then I found this great artist that made figures out of scrape metal and beautiful flower/evergreen arrangements. I saw this lovely arrangement with a log as a base. It was perfect for Grandpa's grave. It is about 20"w x 14"h and only $15.00. Isn't it just beautiful. The artificial flowers alone would have cost that much in a craft store.

It was a fantastic day, even the Hubby had a great time. There was such a mixture of old, unique, and creative artisans that there is something for everyone.


The market closes for the winter so I will have to wait until spring to visit again. I hope I can last till then...

What are some of your favorite flea market finds?

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment