Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Cute Little Fabric Pumpkins

Hi All! We are at full autumn mode in my house. Decorations are up and I have been crafting like a crazy person... I love it.  Velvety Pumpkins are all the rage these days, but I am not a fan of velvet. While trolling around Pinterest I saw many varieties of DIY pumpkins, some made out of fabric. Well this craft was for me and I couldn’t believe how easy they were to make, once all the supplies were gathered. I mean really easy, the kind of craft I like doing while catching up on all my recorded shows!


Supplies Needed: 
  • Fabric (your choosing, you can even use crushed velvet) 
  • Scissors 
  • Needle
  • Thread 
  • Sticks or Stems from Real Pumpkins 
  • Glue Gun & Glue Sticks
  • Beans 
  • Stuffing (tissue paper, plastic bags, poly-fil, basically whatever you have on hand) 
  • Optional: Item to decorate pumpkins (ribbon, raffia, leaves, etc)

Instructions:
Cut a square of fabric (it does not have to be exactly perfect, these pumpkins are very forgiving)

I then folded in half, then half again (fold into quarters). 

I then cut an arch from corner to corner of the non-folded size. Don't worry it does not have to be perfect. 

Unfold and there you have a circle (see mine came out somewhat oval). 

Now thread your needle. Using a running stitch sew all along the outside of the circle. No need to knot the end, you are going to leave string hanging, so when you are finished you can pull both ends and tie off.

Now its time to stuff it. I used pearl barley & tissue paper for stuffing. The barley/beans help put a little bit of weight in the fabric so they wont fall over. My tissue paper was from items I bought at the Christmas Tree Shop that they wrapped (I'll say it again, Don't You Just Love a Bargain...lol)

Now taking both ends of the string pull tight so the fabric comes together and there is almost no hole, tie tight. Now for the glue. How you glue is up to you. You can do it in glue dots on your stem or around the fabric opening in a small line. I myself glued a line all along the edge of the fabric and the pushed the stem into the pumpkin

On a side note, getting real pumpkin stems are probably the hardest part of the supplies needed for these pumpkins. If you have a pumpkin patch close to you, you might be able to find some there. I found mine at the bottom of the big box of pumpkins outside my grocery store. There are also dried pumpkin stems available to buy on the Internet, but I rather hunt for mine and get them for free! This is why you can also use sticks. I also wound twine around a stick to give it a more country feel. Anything goes when crafting.

When you’re done with the gluing of the stem, you might have to play around with your fabric a tad, so the pleats will look even. Another words, fluff & puff those cuties. Now if you like you can add some decorations (tho, they will look fine as is).
Real Pumpkin Stem

The hardest part of this project will be finding real pumpkin stems (if you choose to go that route). Everything else is easy peasy. You can make them in whatever size you want. Anything goes, because trust me – they will turn out simply darling!

Stick for a Stem

Have fun crafting your own pumpkins!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment