Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Jack-o-lantern Mason Jars


Hello Friends! With September arriving I am thinking of fall, my favorite time of year, and with canning season in full force there are lots of mason jars available. This calls for some mason jar craft creations. I love the mason jar, they are so versatile. If you look them up on Pinterest there are hundreds of ideas on ways to use a mason jar. Over the next month I will be highlighting some of those projects. 

This weekend I created jack-o-lantern mason jar luminaries. They were easy and fun. Here is how I did it. 

Gather up the following:
  • Mason jars (I use 3) 
  • Roll of orange crepe paper streamer 
  • Mod podge (Yes, a flashback from your school years!) 
  • Black paper (I used sticky back vinyl from my Silouette America Die-Cutting Machine) 
  • Green paint 


Start by measuring the height of your jars and cut the crepe paper streamer to that size.

Paint Mod Podge, a section at a time, onto the outside of the jar. 

Lay down a strip of crepe paper and smooth it down well. Then, move onto the next section. Overlapped the strips of paper to make it look more like the ridges of a pumpkin. Don’t worry if it’s a little wrinkly, it doesn’t show once it’s dry. 

Keep going till you get the jar covered. 

Then, it is time to work on cutting out the faces. You can download faces off the web or create your own using black craft paper. (I created mine on my Silhouette Machine.) Just make sure you size the face according to the size of your jar. Apply the faces to the jar either by gluing the pieces or using sticky back vinyl and paint the tops with some green paint. 


Now you can do 1 of 2 things to seal the pumpkin:
  1. Brush on a coat or 2 of Mod Podge 
  2. Can of spray enamel (this is the method I used) 

The finishing touch... add a flameless votive/tea light candle or a string of lights. 

Oooooooh how Scary!!!!! 


Now go get your craft on and make some scary jack-o-lantern mason jars ! 



No comments:

Post a Comment